Monday, June 22, 2009

Movie Monday

http://www.briansprayberry.com/wp-content/images/blog/ice%20cream%20sandwich.jpg
I figure if some of the posts become theme posts, then there could be some structure. So, I introduce Movie Monday....I write this while eating an ice cream sandwich with Predator 2 on the boob tube. Danny Glover as lieutenant Harrigan, kicking ass in a super baggy suit and packing what looks to be a modified Desert Eagle. This movie was made in 1990, but is supposed to take place in 1997. I love not so distant future movies. That is besides the point, when was the last time you had an o.g. ice cream sandwich? Cannot remember, can you? Well, they are delicious and you are jealous. Thanks Andy. Back to the theme.

I watched two movies last week. Gran Torino and Friday the 13th. They both were On Demand and there is no rhyme or reason to the type of movies I watch and therefore write about. This new Monday theme will not be relegated to new releases, sometimes they might be though, because a couple weeks ago I saw Drag Me to Hell and it was awesome, you should see it if you like that kind of flick......Back to Gran Torino, I like Clint Eastwood. Dude is cool, always has been. Now he is grandpa cool, but also a bitter racist. I read things like his character was supposed to be on the Dirty Harry tip, and I can see that, but this dude's character name is Walt Kowalski and he is a widowed war veteran. I only thought of Walt Disney while typing this, and prior to that thought the name Walt in the movie to be badass. He drinks PBR, smokes even though he is sick and calls his young neighbor a pussy for not talking to a girl he likes.

I mentioned he is a racist right? I don't want to say anymore except watch the movie and decide for yourself if you think the racism in the movie is funny because it aligns with your values or that because it is so over the top and you feel like since you are not racist then it is making a point. Or its not. Regardless, good flick and not slow and boring like I thought it was going to be for some reason.

Friday the 13th.
Bunch of actors from or could have been from the WB. The usual formula of teens(played by people in their mid to late twenties), alcohol, a couple boobies and death by machete. No suspense, not scurry at all. Not anything like this final fight scene between Danny Glover and the Predator where Glover uses the Predator's own flying disc/saw weapon to win the battle.

0 comments: